Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Wizard's First Rule - Terry Goodkind

Wizard's First Rule is the first book in the Sword of Truth series, written by Terry Goodkind. This is his debut novel.

I recently reread this book. The first time I read it was in 2006 when a friend forced it on me. It sat on my desk for weeks. I had never read a fantasy before in my life, and I really didn't think it was something I could get into. I still have that same copy. I have read it multiple times and shared it with friends, family, and random people I hardly know. I always make sure I get it back. I am so glad that I finally chose to give it a chance. The reason I am rereading it again now is because I still haven't read the final book in the series, Confessor, and I would like to soon, but it has been too long, and I have lost many of the details of the series.

Wizard's First Rule is the beginning of an epic journey, starting with a simple man named Richard who is thrown into a whirlwind adventure that he did not choose for himself. Much of the book is his struggle with accepting that the fate of the world rests on his shoulders, and all because he helped save a woman's life. Little does he know that Kahlan is more than a simple woman. An evil wizard named Darken Rahl is attempting to take over the world using dark magic from the Underworld and only one man can stop him - The Seeker of Truth. Will Richard find a way to stop Darken Rahl from opening the Boxes of Orden and ruling the world? How will he find a way for Kahlan and himself to be together?

I don't want to give too much away. I consider this series to be one of my all-time favorites and would recommend them to anyone who knows how to read. My husband never read a book in his life and he read this series. Even the last one, which I haven't read yet!

Terry Goodkind takes you into his world and makes you fall in love with the characters. Once you meet Richard, Kahlan, and Zedd - there is no going back. These books are each around 1000 pages and take some time to read, but every second is worth it!

Some Sci-Fi/Fantasy fans do not like this series. Sorry, not everyone can be Tolkien, and if you expect this book to hold up to Lord of the Rings or The Wheel of Time, you may be disappointed. Terry Goodkind's writing style is very different. I think the difference is what makes it easier for non-fantasy folks like myself to get into this series.

If you have an opportunity to pick this up - DO IT!

5/5!

No comments:

Post a Comment