Wednesday, April 15, 2009

You Suck: A Love Story by Christopher Moore

Before I begin this review, I want to mention that I did not know that there was a prequel to this book, called Bloodsucking Fiends. That was quite upsetting. I figured it out about 3 chapters into the book after the author mentioned this previous "event" that had happened. This caused me to do some research on GoodReads. On that note - the book was still great without reading the first one. They work well as stand-alone books. HOWEVER - I am the type of person who would've liked to read BSF and get all the background info first! Now I have no desire to read BSF because I know what happens in the end. I may read it someday, if my "Books to Read" shelf suddenly is empty. It's very doubtful that will ever happen.

You Suck opens with "You bitch, you killed me! You suck!" This line pretty much sets the mood for the entire novel. In a world where suddenly we are somewhat obsessed with vampires (ahem.. Twilight), Christopher Moore brings us the new vampires Jody and her boyfriend Tommy. Jody has been a vampire a mere few months, and she has just brought over Tommy. Join them as they learn how to cope with this new "problem". Not only that, but the very old vampire who turned Jody has escaped, the police are after them, and Tommy's old pals (who happen to be vampire hunters) are getting a little suspicious about their buddy who is suddenly very pale.

This book is downright hilarious at times. I can say that I actually laughed out loud while reading parts narrated by Abby, the vampires' daytime minion. She is a stereotypical teenage goth girl who tries so hard to be dark and edgy, but deep down is really a cute bubbly girl who likes Hello Kitty. She narrates some of the chapters in the book, and I found that when I got to a chapter titled "Being the Chronicles of Abby Normal" I would get really excited.

I have only touched on a few of the ridiculously awesome characters in this book. You can't forget Chet, Blue, Jared, or the Emperor. However, I will leave it at that. Now you have to read it to find out more!

If you like books that make fun of just about everything, vampires, and making fun of vampires, I highly recommend this. You should really read Bloodsucking Fiends first though!

"The music coming from inside sounded like robots fucking. And complaining about it. In rhythmic monotone. European robots."
Christopher Moore (You Suck: A Love Story)

4/5!

No comments:

Post a Comment