Friday, April 24, 2009

"Face of Betrayal" by Lis Wiehl with April Henry

"Face of Betrayal" is a mystery about a young girl named Katie Converse who takes her dog for a walk and never comes home. The story follows 3 women as they try to find out what happened to Katie: Allison the prosecutor, Nicole the FBI agent, and Cassidy the reporter. These three women are close friends, and work together throughout the entire novel, referring to themselves as the "Triple Threat Club". So what happened to Katie? Was it murder? Suicide? And where is her body?

The first thing I did when I got the book was look at the cover. The front is rather plain, just a scary looking woman's face and the standard text. But I turned it over and saw a picture of Lis and I immediately recognized her. If you've ever watched Fox News for more than five minutes, you will recognize her too. Lis chose a great topic for herself to write about, considering she has personal experience in every aspect of this book. She was a prosecutor, she works on TV, and her father was an FBI agent. Everything in the novel is very believable, and her true life experiences are what made that possible.

This is a classic crime mystery/suspense novel. I did guess the outcome early on in the novel, but there were many twists and turns throughout the book that had me questioning myself and even dismissing my ideas. I felt very connected to all of the characters. Sometimes when an author includes as many "main" characters as Lis did, it's hard to relate to each of them. In my opinion, she did an excellent job of making each of them feel "real".

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes this genre, and here's to reading the next Triple Threat novel - "Hand of Fate" available April 2010. You can catch the first two chapters at the end of "Face of Betrayal".

Check out the book here. Preview the first 5 pages here.

5/5!

No comments:

Post a Comment